Tuesday, May 18, 2010

04 - Meditation

I am so liking the meditation part of the daily routine. I've always wanted to get into a regular practice but was never quite sure how to do it or work it into my day. There have been moments where I would try to sit and be, it just never turned into a daily thing. This is one area that I would like to see become a habit.


I have no idea if I'm doing it right or wrong. I've read many different opinions on how one should meditate that after a while it all becomes confusing. So I'm just doing whatever feels comfortable and relaxing to me.

I like meditating with my eyes closed. It provides one less thing to distract me from what is going on in the world and helps put me into a sort of dream-world. It's fun to just sit there and listen to all the sounds that exist and never really pay attention to during my waking hours.

The goal this week was to just pay attention to what goes on in our heads, to experience the chatter of thoughts in our minds. I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I sit there and wait. Sometimes I think there's a thought, but I'm never to sure if it was really a thought because it's too fleeting to catch or it gets interrupted with another thought where I'm specifically thinking, "Hey! That was a thought! Or was it?" Eventually it seems I get caught up on thoughts discovering thoughts that were themselves discovering thoughts that had discovered thoughts. It's a vicious cycle.

I never seem to be really thinking of anything while I'm meditating. There's no puzzles going on that need solving, or situations that I'm trying to work through. I just seem to sit there listening to the world around me and blinding accusing things of being thoughts.

Then the five minutes are up. The time always seems to fly by just when I think I'm getting into it. It is the one part of the program that I look forward to each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment