Sunday, May 16, 2010

02 - Change

Last night I was bad. I stayed up way to late socializing with my friends, ate too much food, drank a little...well, tea (I very rarely drink alcohol), and was pretty much exhausted this morning. All-in-all a good time was had. (And that, ladies and gentlemen, was my usual one night splurge. Yeah, I'm a total party animal!)


As I blearily opened my eyes, I totally dreaded getting out of bed because that would mean putting on my workout clothes, grabbing my jumprope, and jumping. That has been the morning routine for months regardless of how much energy my body has. (Of course, if I start jumping with low energy, sure enough it will recharge my batteries and I'm good to go for the rest of the day.)

Just moments before I threw back the covers and set my feet on the floor, I remembered that I'm on a whole new program! That was old PCP. This is new KFB. Right at the moment I don't have to do that as the jumps are with the routine. With a big grin on my face, I snuggled deeper under the covers for another bit of shuteye.

However, I have to say that it feels all wrong. For months I have been following a certain routine and I have to say I was pretty comfortable with it. Now this thing comes along and starts shaking my world! What's up with dat?!?

It's that funny little thing called "change". Sometimes a change is needed in order for progress to continue. Once a body gets use to doing something consistently without any change to the routine, growth kind of stops happening. Muscles won't grow and develop, the body falls asleep, the minds starts to wander, and pretty much you hit the plateau from hell.

Thus comes in our buddy, "change". It's something new, something different. The body suddenly awakens with a "what's going on?", muscles begin to develop again, the mind becomes more focused on the task, and once again you're on the road again.

I just need to remind myself that sometimes you need to take a few steps backward in order to get a good running start for the next leg of the race. Yes, things feel very—unchallenging is pretty good word right at the moment—but I know that the running start is about to occur soon. This is only a rest area on the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment