Sunday, May 30, 2010

16 - Family

I have spent much time with family the past couple of days. We were with my partner's family yesterday, and then I saw my family today. Amazingly enough, there was one theme that seemed to resonate with both groups that I got to hear repeatedly over the two days: "You've lost a lot of weight!" or "You look so skinny!" which almost always culminated to a "You're looking real good!" Nothing boosts the ego more than a few simple statements like that!


My partner's parents are getting up there in age. His father just got out of the hospital a few days ago after a nasty bout of pneumonia. They needed help digging up some dead bushes and planting new ones, so we went over there to assist because neither parent really has the capability any more to do manual labor like that anymore. Strangely enough, neither is my partner. He's tall and skinny with no muscle strength whatsoever. So it was up to me to dig up the bushes.

Although this wasn't something beyond my capabilities before PCP and KFB, as I had much experience pulling stumps out of our backyard for a number of years, this felt a whole lot different. I could feel a strength that I don't think I've ever felt before as I ripped those bushes out of the ground. Energy was at a premium and it just felt totally amazing! Will the wonders never cease?!?

And although I had a real late night, the energy lasted through a long drive today, when I visited my own family at the campground where my brother has a seasonal pass. I brought my workout sheet and jumprope with me and proceeded to show them what exercise program I was on now. Needless to say, I think they were impressed. (Unfortunately, I wasn't able to complete all the sets and reps, as I did get bombarded with questions as to what I was doing and how I was doing it. On the other hand, I was stuck in some positions for far longer than a few breaths!)

It was actually a pretty restful day. I had the opportunity to sit and socialize with my family, which I don't often get to do because I live far away from them. There was nothing that needed my attention, no impending deadlines, no nothing. Just chillin' with everyone. Just being there in the moment with them and not worrying about anything. Sometimes, I think that's almost as good as sitting and meditating.

And now I'm home, tucking another long drive and late night under my belt. I really need to quit this whole staying up late thing.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like your family's really supportive. It feels good when other people notice your progress.

    P.S. I've been getting sucked into the staying-up-late thing this week too. Which means now it's past my bedtime...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to have all that support and curiosity! (Always easier to keep on track when others are watching :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That strength and energy you found is your body wiring up and coordinating muscles to do work efficiently. It'll only get better.

    ReplyDelete