Friday, May 28, 2010

14 - Fresh

I will say that I'm lovin' the KFB exercise schedule, mainly because it mimics my old PCP schedule—Friday is the "end of the week" and therefore the easy workout day. This is perfect for me because Friday is the day that me and my friends gather for a potluck dinner and a movie of some sort (usually a bad one). These "easy workout days" gives me enough time to leave work, get home, exercise, make something fresh and simple, and meet everyone by 7pm.


This is a great time of year to begin a program like KFB. All the little farmer's markets are starting to pop-up like daisies in a field. It's the one thing I miss in the wintertime.

Now, I'm not totally opposed to the big supermarket chains as they have their own niche to fill, but there's just something disconcerting about overpriced food! I don't like how they seem to take advantage of everyone. The farmers suffer because the supermarkets don't pay them enough to grow the food, the town suffers because the supermarkets usually don't support local farmers, the environment suffers because the food has to be transported large distances, and the consumer suffers because they jack up the price to outrageous levels.

But then comes summer and the playing field starts becoming level again.

On Saturday, the huge Regional Market is open for business. That's the first day of the week I buy my vegetables. (Amazing how my food buying has synced up to our diets and exercise "week".) The Regional Market is doing quite well this year as they have had to expand to allow more farmers to sell their produce.

Next will be Tuesdays, as that is when the Downtown Market opens. (Only a week to go before it begins!) It's quite a bit smaller than the Regional Market, but you can still get a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. As an extra bonus, it is close to where I work. A quick ten-minute walk gets me to the market, another ten minutes to do two circuits around it (one to view the produce, the second to buy) and then a final ten minute walk back to work with my purchases. Exercise and food! Woo-hoo!

Then there is the CSA that we belong to. "CSA" stands for Community Supported Agriculture. The basic idea behind it is that we pay a local farmer a certain amount of money in March with which he buys everything he needs for that season's crops. Around June we go to a nearby pick-up point weekly to get our share of the produce that he has grown. It's a little hard to plan meals around this type of program, but I will say that it's fun to get a box of food that you have no idea what's in there until you open it up. I guess you might call it "Vegetarian Christmas".

That's the beauty of summer—fresh food for three to four months. If I work it just right, I will not have to take a step into a big chain supermarket for much of this time. What a way to "stick it to da man"!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I hear you. In the summer, my wife's family, which is made up of alot of farmers, give us vegetables. Right now, my house is bursting with giant tomatoes, not to mention the vegies my mother in law grows in her garden. There is a farmers market near us, but we never need to go because we "home grow" all we need.

    ReplyDelete